Bulleit Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey 1 l
The Bulleit Bourbon is a high-rye Straight Kentucky Whiskey
Until 2013 the Bulleit Bourbon was produced in the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. Since then, the birthplace of this high-rye Whiskey is unknown. Nevertheless, the quality of the Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey is as good as ever and maybe even as good as Augustus Bulleit produced it about 150 years ago. It is a Kentucky Straight Bourbon and hence its medium amber sheen is completely natural. On the nose it offers gentle aromas of spicy oak, zesty orange and sweet vanilla. On the palate the dram is quite smooth as well and shows maple notes, nuances of oranges, nutmeg and some charred oak. The finish is lasting quite long. It is smooth as the overall character and shows slightly spicy flavours and hints of sweet toffee.
In comparison with other spirits, the story of the Bulleit Bourbon is somehow different. It started in 1830 when Augustus Bulleit began to produce the first Bulleit Whiskey. During the next 30 years he created the bourbon after his own recipe and sold it successfully. But with his death in 1860 the production discontinued and did not revive until the 1990s.
It was Thomas E. Bulleit who wanted to continue what his great-great-grandfather started about 160 years ago. The new Bulleit Bourbon was based on the old family recipe. It is made of maize, rye and malted barley. Because rye is with about 28 % of the grain bill the second major ingredient, it is also called a high-rye bourbon. High-rye Whiskeys are typically known to have a spicier and richer character. Furthermore, it matures for at least six years in new oak casks and thus twice as long as the law requires.
The Bulleit Bourbon is a Kentucky Whiskey of a fantastic quality and a very good reputation. Because of its excellent character, it won several medals in various international Whiskey competitions. Some are listed below.
- Ultimate Spirits Challenge 2015 – 94 Points, Excellent, Highly Recommended
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2014 – Silver
- Ultimate Spirits Challenge 2013 – 92 Points, Excellent, Highly Recommended
- Ultimate Spirits Challenge 2012 – 95 Points, Finalist, Extraordinary, Ultimate Recommendation
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2012 – Gold
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2007 – Gold
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2006 – Silver
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2005 – Silver
- San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2004 – Gold